Getting a new roof done can be an intimidating endeavor. For most people, it’s like sitting down with your surgeon—just the prospect of having to keep up with technical jargon as your roofing contractor dissects your issues can be understandably stressful. However, with more experience, most homeowners will come to know that it really isn’t all that bad. At Resistance Exteriors, we hope to shed some more light on our roofing process to provide you with more ease when it comes to dealing with us as your roofing contractor in Delafield, WI.
Roofing Scams to Watch Out For
Let’s be honest—the main fear about hiring any contractor is the possibility of getting scammed. The roofing industry is no exception, and it helps to be aware of these shady outliers just in case you run into them:
- “Full Payment Upfront”: Watch out for any service company or contractor that wants you to pay the entire amount of the service that has yet to be completed.
- “Storm Chasers”: It’s not uncommon to hear a knock on the door from a salesperson, especially after a big storm has occurred in your area. Be careful not to sign anything or hand over any personal information. If they try to convince you that your roof is damaged and already have your insurance details, end the conversation immediately and close your door.
The only way to make sure you actually need roof repairs is to schedule an inspection with a reputable roofing company. From experience, we can tell you that we never quote our customers for anything that does not need to be done, and you’ll definitely never be asked to pay the full price upfront.
Facts About Roofers
A roofing contractor in Wisconsin needs to undergo many hours of training and apprenticeship, and also pass industry-level certifications. It’s important for roofers to be licensed, bonded, and insured before they perform any work on a home or place of business. This helps to protect not just the roofing contractor and the company, but also the client and their property.
Hiring a roofing contractor isn’t exactly like hiring a handyman; there’s a lot at stake, and it’s important to find people with the right skills and qualities before you bring them into your home.
What to Look for in a Roofing Contractor
- Experience – While education is important, having a solid track record to back the expertise always helps.
- Knowledge – A roofing contractor that not only has the right educational foundation but also stays on top of developments in the industry is always worth having on your side.
- Attentiveness – Roofers shouldn’t be bullies; like in any business, the customer is always right—and when they’re not, you need a level-headed contractor who knows how to listen and graciously provide professional feedback at the right times.
- Trustworthiness – A new roof isn’t cheap, so you want to make sure you’re entrusting your investment into the right hands.
- Reputation – What a company says versus what its customers actually say should mostly line up. Pay attention to any red flags, especially when there’s an overwhelming amount of negative reviews against claims of “high-quality services.”
Understanding Roofing Terms
Like many other industries, the roofing sector also has its own unique terminology that may leave others confused when they talk specifics with a roofing contractor. While it’s not a requirement for anyone getting their roof done to know all the roofing terms by heart, it sure helps to familiarize oneself with a few words that may come in handy later on. Take a quick glimpse at this glossary of roofing terms we’ve arranged for our clients.
How to Get an Estimate and What It Should Cover
To get an estimate on your roofing project, you can usually fill out a form or reach out to your roofing contractor. An estimate for roof work typically includes:
- Services for the removal of the existing roof
- Labor for the installation of the new roof
- Materials (including the manufacturer, color, dimensions, or any other important specifications)
- Payment procedure
- Start and completion dates
- Scope of the work or any limitations
Preparing for Your Roofing Project
When it’s time for your roofing contractor to start working, there are a few things you should expect or might want to ask about during the process:
The Project Scope & Timeline
Understanding the full scope and limitations of your roofing project can help you get on the same page with your roofing contractor. Make sure you understand the complete breakdown of services and materials, and don’t be afraid to ask questions if you get lost along the way! Actively communicating with your roofer ensures that you stay on the right track, which also helps to complete your project within the proposed time frame.
Before scheduling any roof repairs or replacements, it helps to get as much information as you can about your insurance coverage. Usually, most roofing or home insurance policies will cover roof repairs if the roof was damaged by vandalism or a natural disaster. If you’re unsure how to go about this, we would be more than happy to assist you through this process as your roofing contractor in Delafield, WI.
It’s just as likely to rain on the day of your roof replacement as any other day. Make sure to research the weather in your area before scheduling any work with your roofing contractor. However, bad weather is just a fact of life, and there’s no guaranteed method to prevent it from happening anytime. Our roofing contractors want to assure you that while some work may be delayed in bad weather conditions, it shouldn’t affect the quality of your roof nor cause you any stress.
Keeping Your Property Damage-Free
Not all roofing contractors are the same, but we make sure that ours treat our clients’ homes as if they were our own. This involves making sure that your gutters, landscaping, and any other parts of your home are unharmed during our roof repair or construction process. Plus, when we’re done with your roof, we also make sure that our work area is clean and that we don’t leave any dangerous debris around your home.
The Best Roofing Contractor in Delafield, WI
At Resistance Exteriors, we only hire the best and most qualified roofing contractors in Delafield, WI. We’re a local, family-owned business that prides itself on true craftsmanship, honest workmanship, and authentic customer service. Over many years, we’ve worked on countless projects in the Delafield, WI area, providing thorough, professional roofing and weatherproofing solutions tailor-made to homes in Wisconsin. As much as we’re committed to delivering excellence at industry-level standards, we take pride in making our customers happy with every project. Don’t hesitate to ask us any questions you may have—contact us today to get in touch with your next roofing contractor.