Are you tired of relying on artificial light during the day? Do you want to bring some sunshine into those dimly lit spaces in your home? Then it’s time to consider investing in a sun tunnel. But what exactly is a sun tunnel? And why should you consider one for your home? In this blog post, we’ll answer those questions and give four reasons why a sun tunnel may be the perfect solution for your home.
What are Sun Tunnels?
Sun tunnels, also known as solar tubes or sun pipes, are architectural daylighting devices designed to bring natural sunlight into interior spaces that lack direct access to windows or natural light sources. They are an energy-efficient and eco-friendly way to illuminate rooms and reduce the need for artificial lighting during the day.
Sun tunnels typically consist of three main components:
- Dome or Collector: The dome is installed on the roof and acts as a light collector. It is usually made of acrylic or polycarbonate material that captures sunlight from different angles.
- Reflective Tube: A highly reflective tube made of metal or reflective material extends from the dome down through the building’s structure, such as the attic or ceiling.
- Diffuser or Light Fixture: At the end of the reflective tube inside the room, there is a diffuser or light fixture that spreads the collected sunlight throughout the space evenly. The diffuser is usually a frosted or prismatic glass or plastic cover to distribute the light without creating glare or harsh shadows.
The process of how sun tunnels work is pretty straightforward; let’s dive in. Sunlight enters the dome on the roof, is reflected down the tube due to its reflective interior, and finally, the diffuser disperses the sunlight inside the room, effectively illuminating the space with natural light. Sun tunnels are especially useful in areas where traditional windows or skylights are not feasible due to structural limitations or privacy concerns.
They are commonly used in interior rooms, hallways, bathrooms, closets, or any area that requires additional natural light but lacks exterior windows. Moreover, sun tunnels can enhance the overall atmosphere of a space by providing a soft, diffused, and constant light source, which can positively impact your well-being and productivity in your home.
Natural Light Is Good for You
Did you know that exposure to natural light has numerous health benefits? It can improve your mood, help regulate your sleep cycle, and boost your productivity. By installing a sun tunnel in your home, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of natural light even in traditionally dark spaces. Plus, you’ll save on energy costs by relying less on artificial lighting during the day.
Sun tunnels can be installed with minimal alterations to the roof or ceiling structure. The process involves cutting a small opening on the roof for the dome and another opening on the ceiling for the diffuser. Since the reflective tube is flexible and adjustable, it can be maneuvered around obstacles and obstructions within the building’s structure, reducing the need for major modifications.
Unlike traditional skylights, sun tunnels are easy to install and don’t require major renovations. A certified installer can typically complete the installation in just a few hours. So, if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to brighten up your home, a sun tunnel may be the way to go.
Perhaps one of the biggest advantages of sun tunnels is their affordability. They are significantly cheaper than traditional skylights, which can cost thousands of dollars. And as mentioned earlier, installing an energy-efficient product like the Velux Sun Tunnel can qualify you for a 30% Federal Tax Credit, which can help offset the cost of installation.
This credit exists because sun tunnels are eco-friendly. By bringing in natural sunlight, they reduce the need for artificial lighting during the day, resulting in potential long-term energy savings. Overall, the combination of affordability, energy efficiency, and potential tax incentives makes sun tunnels attractive for homeowners and building owners looking to enhance their spaces with natural light while keeping costs reasonable.
Sun tunnels come in a variety of sizes and styles, making them a flexible option for any home renovation project. You can choose from different materials, finishes and even add additional light fixtures to complement your design.
Here are some aspects of sun tunnels that can be customized to suit individual preferences and design requirements:
- Sizes and Configurations: Sun tunnels are available in various sizes to accommodate different room dimensions and lighting needs. Whether you need a smaller sun tunnel for a compact space or a larger one to illuminate a bigger room, there are options to choose from.
- Materials and Finishes: The components that make up sun tunnels include different materials, such as acrylic, polycarbonate, and various types of glass. These materials can be chosen based on factors like light diffusion, UV protection, and aesthetic preferences. Additionally, the finishes or colors of the sun tunnel components can be customized to match your interior decor.
- Light Diffusers and Accessories: Sun tunnels often come with different types of diffusers, such as frosted glass, prismatic glass, or even light kits with built-in LED fixtures.
- Adjustable Tubes: The reflective tubes in sun tunnels are flexible and adaptable, allowing for customization during installation to avoid obstacles or to optimize sunlight capture from the roof to the interior space.
With such a range of options and configurations, homeowners and architects can find the right sun tunnel solution to meet their specific needs, whether it’s for a residential or commercial setting. The ability to customize sun tunnels makes them an attractive choice for those who value both functionality and design aesthetics.
Contact Resistance Exteriors in Delafield, WI, and Get Your Sun Tunnel Installed
If you’re looking for a way to bring more natural light into your home without breaking the bank, a sun tunnel may just be the perfect solution for you. With easy installation, affordability, and customizable options, there’s no reason not to consider a sun tunnel for your home. And when it comes to installation, look no further than Resistance Exteriors LLC, your local certified Velux Skylight and Sun Tunnel Installer in Delafield, WI. Contact us today to shed some light on your home with a sun tunnel installation.